Ovaries...check. Sperm...check. Ovulation...check. Wait...no check.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Needles, blood, and an unnecessary urine test

So this morning I had to drag my happy butt over to the hospital to have a needle stuck in my arm so that I could have more life drained from me. Okay, so that's dramatic, but I'm not a morning person, so that's what it felt like. And my butt wasn't really happy, just to clear that up.

I took my little numbered paper like you're supposed to do at these lovely military clinics and sat down. The pregnant ladies entered at this time. I was jealous at first, but then when they were gagging down that nasty syrup crap for their glucose, the jealousy quickly faded away. Gross. When my number was called, I went up to the desk, handed over my military ID and was informed that not only was I supposed to have blood drawn, but that I was to "give a sample" in the lovely little plastic cup that I was handed (Note: I wasn't given sanitary napkin thingies. wth?). Now, Ms. H didn't inform me that I was to do one, but it was really too early in the morning to make a stink about a little pee. So, I went to get my blood drawn with plans to pee after. My number was up after all...for the blood lady that is.

I get to my chair and just about drop everything as the lady slips the card and my pretty labels out of my hand. Thanks lady. Then, she put the tourniquet on WAY too tight. I just gritted my teeth and bared it. What else could I do?? Complain....haha, anyway. Then she poked at my arm a bit. Now, I have two VERY visible holes in my arm that she should have seen just fine, from when I donated Plasma. She actually said "I THINK I see where the vein is. Do you know where they normally stick you?". I think I went white. Was this woman SERIOUSLY asking me if I knew where SHE needed to stick me?? Lady, You're the one who is HOPEFULLY certified in phlebotomy, I haven't started that course yet, so why don't you go ahead and tell me where you are supposed to stick me. I wanted to be a smart ass and say, "um, in the ARM", but I didn't. I just told her that there were holes from where I had donated and she said ok. Then uttered "i'm just gonna stick here". Normally I don't even feel the needle...she wasn't graceful. I'm now bruised and the hole isn't near the ones from my plasma days. Stupid bitch.

I figured the worst (if not the nastiest) part of the day was over, so I followed the little yellow arrows to the woman's restroom. I didn't know we were that big of idiots now a days that we needed yellow arrows to lead us around a corner. I figured that the big sign with RESTROOM on it would have done the trick on it's own quite nicely. Apparently not. Did my test, turned it in, and left.

I was told to call Ms. H tomorrow to get the results of this second little blood test. Well, she called me today! Two hours after I had the work done. Now that's what I call fast! I love having a doctor that actually gives a rats ass. Anyway, everything was ok. She said something about my iron, but I didn't hear all of it. I just caught a "6". Don't know if she said 16 or 26. Either way, the prolactin levels are where they need to be now, and everything else must be fine since she didn't mention it. She did tell me that the lab people are morons (not quite like that, but that was the gist) and that I wasn't supposed to take the urine thing today. It was for when I do my HSG in a few weeks, since I have to have a pregnancy test the day before. Stupid lab people who can't read. I guess the yellow arrows are for them?

So, now I just have to wait for my period to come and go so that I can have my HSG. Either that, or I'm supposed to wait til day 35 of this cycle to go and do a test. Yeah RIGHT...like I could wait THAT long. My cycles are an average of 27 days and I've never gone over 31. NEVER. I think I'll test on day 32 here at home, and if it's pos, then I'll go to the hospital. Wait til day 35....ppppssshhhhtttt.

No comments: